These USB flash drives can
Factors that affect Data Transfer Rate
Before speeding your drive, we should know some
unresolvable factors that affects data transfer rate of a USB drive.
- Ageing of Pendrive: A new drive tends to perform better as compared to old ones. Make sure you update your hardware regularly.
- File Types/File Size: Movies, ISO, music, etc.
aremuch faster to transfer than applications. The Data Transfer rate of single file is better than multiple files of same size.
- USB port standard: Newest USB standard is 3.0, providing up to 625MBps. Whereas USB 2.0 flash drive have maximum transfer limit of 35MBps.
Tricks to improve Data Transfer Rates:
- Use NTFS as default file system for Pendrive
has been provedto increase performance, in comparison with FAT file systems. Make sure you are using it. You can do so by Right Clicking on your flash drive and then clicking Format from popup menu, Select NTFS File system, Uncheck Quick Format and Click on Start.
- Check for disk errors.
You must constantly check for any disk errors or bad sectors that can cause flash drive to work slowly. To check disk errors got to
pendriveProperties from Right Click menu. Now go to on Tools tab and click on Check Now. Finally clickon Start to fix errors. The time it takes to scan drivefor errors, depends upon sizeof drive.
- Change OS’s policy for Device.
Under Properties of your pen drive, under Hardware tab, select USB device from the list. That will lead you to a pop up window where you
canthe change deviceproperties .Now you can have Better Performance of pen drive by clicking the radio button under Policies tab.
- Flash the device.
This is an effective option that is practical and tested. Formatting the flash drive after quite a long usage time could speed up the data transfer rate.